Friday, September 4, 2009

tell as inform

When you are learning sign language, you might ask a Deaf person "How can I sign, 'She told me...' or 'I told you...'?" Typically they will tell you a directional/referential sign that points to your mouth. I know I use that phrase all the time. "I told her already." "She told me she'd be late." In reality, though. When hearing people say "told," they typically mean to focus on the fact that they received or sent some kind of message -- some information was exchanged. I think the better sign to use in this context is the sing to "inform" instead. You won't see many deaf people sign "she told me" in this context, but rather "she informed me" -- it kinda depicts information from the brain to a person.

It's a little surprising (though it shouldn't be) to think about all of the vocal/auditory nuances in our spoken language. She told me. I heard about it. That sounds cool. Of course these all make sense and are used correctly to mean what they say, but at the same time, it emphasizes the vocal and auditory means, so of course it doesn't translate well. Instead, maybe we should try to interpret the meaning of what you are trying to say, rather than the directly translate the words.








ps- things I need to remember to write about
-audism/phonocentrism/cognitive diversity
-window v. door (ben bahan?)
-burrito (bb?)
-proxemics - triangle building blocks (bb?)
-reading the envi/sounds/sensory reach

No comments: