Sunday, August 29, 2010

the difference between you and me

Storytime
Yesterday, I was talking to a hearing student who works on campus. He told me that a customer (ignorantly) approached him, assumed he is deaf, and spoke to him with exaggerated lipping. He responded with sign, telling the customer he didn't understand. He says he chooses to not use his hearing ability on campus.

My two cents.
I totally disrespect the customer for his approach to the situation. He obviously has no idea what is going on. Or what he is doing. If he knew NO sign, I think, on a Deaf campus, writing the request is much more accepted. It eliminates the dependency on oral communication. I can imagine how the store clerk may be offended. I get it. But I DON'T respect the clerk's response. At all. The thing is is that he CAN hear. He can understand that request from the customer. He could respond using sign or writing it down (or writing down a request that the customer writes!).

And as I said, the customer is OBVIOUSLY ignorant. So what are you doing to fight that? To help him overcome his ignorance? To prevent him from offending others? Nothing. You are ignoring the situation. As a student on campus, driven to help the clear communication between hearing and deaf across the world, how can this situation be avoided? It's true, in my opinion, that both sides of the table handled it poorly. The blind leading the blind? heh. Maybe take the time to educate others?

I don't see how you can be offended by someone who is so ignorant - who maybe has no clue that he is being offensive - and not want to give him maybe some cultural capital. Cause he's got none. And I think that spreading the knowledge would truly help the acceptance and understanding of both perspectives.

Thoughts?

No comments: