Sunday, August 15, 2010

expressing yourself

I haven't really had the motivation to write in the blog recently. And tonight I am kind of forcing it out of myself, but here goes.

It is hard enough to express myself in English. Can you imagine me trying to get it out in another language? No way, man. O, so you think I'm funny? Somehow your sense of humor is lost cross-language. And I can imagine this to be true. Humor can be quite a complex concept. And often time linguistically complex, too. I just don't seem to be that funny in ASL. Comes out wrong... boo

Also, it can be tough to express your intelligence. Think about it. I've been "learning" ASL for about 3 years? 4 years? Imagine a 3 or 4 year old. You think they are funny?? haha. You think they can express how smart a 23 year old is using their 4 year old language?

Of course this is all a stretch. In the end, my point is that I need to study more. My personality doesn't really shine in my sign. I need to work on that. Expression. No good, man. I think, at least, that I am maintaining my signing skills... not losing too much.

I think I depend too much on English, really. I need to just get that outta my thoughts and think in ASL! Think VISUAL!

No comments: